Ever since I made exercising regularly a goal for 2011, I’ve been doing a better job of making working out a priority. I have. But we aren’t members of a gym right now and so my options are somewhat limited.
All winter I’ve been stuck with either doing the elliptical machine that’s in the basement, P90X DVDs, or other workout DVDs I get from the library. Well, I get bored easily when it comes to my workouts, so these options got old fast.
When I saw an opportunity to do a boot camp for three weeks, I knew it was just the kick in the butt I needed to get me through until the weather is truly warm enough for me to run outside regularly. I know what you’re thinking, but I’m a big wimp and don’t run outside unless it’s at least 45 degrees.
I was so not ready to face the world at 5 o’clock in the morning.
This could possibly be the most unflattering picture of me. Ever. But this is the best you’re gonna get at 5 am. I rolled out of bed and put on my warmest workout clothes since it was forecasted to be 26 degrees. I am quite possibly the biggest dork in the world. I found this boot camp online and mistakenly thought that since all the pictures on their website were of groups outside that we’d be working out outside, too. I was wrong. So even though I could take off my hat, gloves, and fleece, I still had to complete the workout with two pairs of pants and a long-sleeved shirt on. Biggest. Dork. Ever.
I tell you all of this for one reason. I want you to know how very happy I was when I got home that there was a lovely strawberry banana yogurt muffin waiting for me. My stomach was growling and I still felt tired when I was driving home, but I perked up when I remembered that I’d made these muffins last night. Although they were absolutely delicious straight from the oven, it tasted pretty great this morning in my famished state.
After I devoured my muffin do you think I hopped in the shower and got an early start to my day? Got a few extra things done before the rest of the family woke up? No and no. I washed my face and jumped back in bed for one more glorious hour of sleep.
When Meghan woke up around 8am (thank you!) she started her day with a muffin and I started my day, for the second time, with a green smoothie.
You want to make these muffins whether you are crazy enough to work out at 5:30 in the morning or not. They are moist and have a great banana flavor with fabulous bites of strawberries throughout. You would never guess that they are low sugar. The only problem? I made them last night and there are only 4 left.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup Sucanat
- 2 large bananas, mashed (~ 1 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain yogurt (I used whole milk yogurt)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup strawberries, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners and/or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and Sucanat. Set aside. In another bowl, mix together mashed bananas, egg, yogurt, and vanilla.
- Pour wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir until they are just mixed.
- Fold in the strawberries.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared muffin tins and bake in the preheated oven for 20-23 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy!